OSVALDO R. ARCE BURGOA, Dr. Geo. Eng.
Qualified professional in geological engineering and mineral processing, specializing in the exploration and development of ore deposits; achievements in more than 25 years experience in the Bolivian mining industry based on a solid education including a Doctorate of Engineering from the Tohoku University at Sendai, Japan; B.S. Geological Engineering from the San Andrés University; Diplomaed in International Management of Development Projects (International Development Bank); Financial and Risk Analysis of Investment Operations” (The World Bank Institute, Queen’s University; and Management of Public Policies and Poverty Reduction (Japan International Cooperation Agency).
Experience in planning and executing exploration-prospecting for gold, silver, tin and base metals projects in all geological provinces of Bolivia including the Andes and Precambrian Shield, as well as in Peru, Chile and Argentina. Evaluating of ore deposits, resource and ore reserve estimate, financial analysis, contract negotiation and mine geology. Experience working in ore deposits such as: polymetallic vein type, orogenic gold, intrusion related, epithermal gold and silver, IOCG, red-bed copper and base metals hosted in sedimentary and volcanic rocks.
Prior responsibility shown in his career growth as researcher, geologist, chief geologist and exploration manager in various mining companies. In the public sector contributed as National Director of the Bolivian Geological Survey (SERGEOMIN) and as Technical Advisor of the National Mining Corporation (COMIBOL) assuming multi-functional responsibilities related to topics such as geologic-mining, technical supervision of projects, strategic planning, human resources and finance.
Proven ability to communicate and to motivate at all entrepreneurial and institutional levels, and to negotiate contracts. Tightly control of environment. Detailed research, author of two books on metalliferos ore deposits of Bolivia referred to the knowledge advance of the geology, metallogeny and types of mineralization in Bolivia (being the first on this type in English Langeage). Computer literate in spreadsheets, CAD, corel draw, risk analysis, word processing, and statistical packages. Strong work ethic.
Doctor of Engineering (Economic Geology & Mineral Processing). Tohoku University – Japan, 1992.
Professional Geological Engineer. Bolivian Government Certification, 1991.
Geological Engineer. Universidad Mayor de San Andrés of La Paz, 1986.
Bachelor in Geology. Universidad Mayor de San Andrés of La Paz, 1984.
Diplomaed of “International Management of Development Projects”, (International Development Bank; Universidad Católica Boliviana, 2000-2001).
Post degree Course “Financial and Risk Analysis of Investment Operations”, (The World Bank Institute - John Deutsch Intl. Exec. Progr. - Queen’s University, Canada, 2001).
Diplomaed “Management of Public Policies and Poverty Reduction”, (Japan International Cooperation Agency; Universidad Católica Boliviana, 2002-2003).
Course on Metallogeny of the Central Andes and Bolivian Precambrian (Instructor and organizer), UNESCO-SEG-SGA, Bolivia, 2008
Course on Metallogeny of the Andes, UNESCO-SEG-SGA, Chile, 2006
Course on Metallogeny of the Andes, UNESCO-SEG, SGA, Argentina, 2004
Practices on Advanced Mineral Exploration, Placer Dome Inc., Colorado y Nevada, 1996.
Course on Porphyry Copper Exploration, BHP, La Escondida, Chile, 1999.
SELECTED MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Co-Responsible of a team that discovered the Achachucani (Pederson) orogenic gold deposit of western Bolivia, resulting in a resource of 2.3 Moz gold, and for the Vinto, Nobel, Isvaya prospects in the same Exploration Corridor.
- Co-Responsible of a team that discovered a major ore body at the Cerro Amarillo (Zn, Sn, Ag, Pb) and Maragua (Ag, Sn, Zn) projects in central Bolivia.
- Supervised and managed the exploration program at the Toropalca (Zn) and Suipacha (Zn-Pb-Ag) projects, Southern Bolivia.
- Author of the Strategic Development Plan of the Bolivian Geological Survey.
- Author of two comprehensive books related to Metalliferous Ore Deposits of Bolivia.
ADMINISTRATION AND INVESTMENT
Management of Mineral Exploration Divisions,
Control and analysis of investments,
Supervising exploration and costs programs,
Corporative Balance Sheets,
Analysis to the fluctuation of prices for metals,
Title and rights of mineral properties,
Manage and evaluate corporate acquisitions,
Quantitative and Qualitative considerations about Market Risk,
Project management from exploration to feasibility stage,
Management style that assures an appropriate balance between major elements of management, i.e., production, finance, employee motivation and public and environmental concerns, all directed toward increasing stockholder's value,
Operating and Financial Review,
Management of up to $20 million budget,
Tight cost control, profit-centered, adamant about accurate and timely cost reporting & purchase-control systems,
Excellent understanding of mining industry,
Competitiveness of mining industry,
Elaborated several of business plans, budgeting, cost tracking systems and projections for exploration and exploitation activities.
DESIGN, PLANNING AND EXECUTING EXPLORATION PROGRAMMES
Design, planning and execution of regional and local geological work including mapping and recognition of new mineral systems,
Improve the quality and effectiveness of geological evaluation,
Property and mine evaluations of different type of ore deposits,
Generate and develop the models of different styles of mineralizations,
Planning and conduct a detailed geochemical exploration,
Design and supervising drilling programs after providing through field data analysis,
Driving projects from exploration stage to pre-feasibility study,
Ore reserves analysis and auditing in different type of ore deposits.
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
Supervision of exploration staff including skilled and unskilled workers and professionals.
Management and consolidated human resource policies and practices.
Negotiation of Joint Venture agreements between mining companies.
Negotiation with workers unions.
Presenter to company Boards, partners and contractors. Written reporting in English and Spanish. Author of two comprehensive books on Metalliferous Ore Deposits of Bolivia and twenty five scientific articles and progress and technical reports to government of Bolivia. University teacher of Economic Geology and Geochemistry.
Evaluating joint ventures, and valued mining properties. Conducted academic research for BSc. theses. Researched mineral exploration and mining data.
Computer literate in spreadsheets, CAD, corel draw, risk analysis, word processing, and statistical packages.
C a r e e r H i s t o r y
ANTIS SRL., partner and Vice President Operations. Geological consultant. Actual.
EMPRESA MINERA UNIFICADA S.A. (EMUSA); Exploration Manager, La Paz. May 2003 to March 2009.
MINING CORPORATION OF BOLIVIA (COMIBOL); Technical Advisor. October 2002 – April 2003.
BOLIVIAN GEOLOGICAL SURVEY (SERGEOTECMIN); National Executive Director. March 2002 – September 2002.
Independent Geological Consultant. February 2000 – February 2002.
MINERA SAJAMA – PEÑOLES; Exploration Manager. August 1999 – January 2000.
EMUSA-ORVANA MIN. CORP.- BHP JV.; Project Manager. August 1998 – July 1999.
EMUSA – ORVANA MINERALS CORP. JV.; Project Manager. August 1995 – July 1998.
EMUSA – ORVANA MINERALS CORP. JV.; Exploration Geologist. September 1992 – July 1995.
Independent Geological Consultant. January 1991 – August 1992.
TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF ORURO, Geological Engineering Department; Lecturer of Economic Geology and Geochemistry. March 1987-September 1987; and May 1991 – November 1991.
JAPAN INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION AGENCY (JICA); Researcher Geologist. March 1986 – January 1987.
COMPAÑÍA MINERA DEL SUR (COMSUR); Mining Geologist. January 1984 - December 1984.
Spanish (Mother Language), English (Second Language), Elementary Portuguese and French and basic Japanese spoken.
Fellow of the Society of Economic Geologists (SEG)
Member of Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC)
Member of the Society of Applied Geology for Ore Deposits (SGA)
Member of the Academy of Sciences
Member Geological Society of Bolivia
Member of Engineering Society of Bolivia
Member of Mining Club of Bolivia
Editor of the Magazine “Minería, Energía y Construcción”
“Guía a los Yacimientos Metalíferos de Bolivia”, SPC Impresores, Minera San Cristóbal – Empresa Minera Unificada S.A. (EMUSA), La Paz, Bolivia, 355 p.
“Metalliferous Ore deposits of Bolivia” SPC Impresores, La Paz, Bolivia, 348 p.
Arce-Burgoa, O., 1990, Fundamental study on processing of ore from the Huanuni mine, Bolivia: Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, Sendai, Japan, Tohoku University, 168 p.
Arce-Burgoa, O., 1986, Estudio Geológico y Mineralógico de las Vetas Keller y Bandy en el Yacimiento de Huanuni: Unpublished Ing. Geol. Thesis, La Paz, Bolivia, UMSA, 77 p.
- Metallogeny of Bolivia (with R. Goldfarb). SEG (Society of Economic Geologists) Newsletter, October 2009, No. 79, p. 7-15, USA.
- Metalogenia de Bolivia. Magazine “Minería, Energía y Construcción” Year 13; No. 73; p. 15-18, La Paz-Bolivia, March 2009.
- Metalliferous Ore Deposits of Bolivia. Magazine “Minería, Energía y Construcción” Year 13; No. 71; p. 22-28, La Paz-Bolivia, March 2009.
- Guía a los yacimientos Metalíferos de Bolivia. Magazine “Minería, Energía y Construcción” Year 11; No. 51; La Paz-Bolivia, March 2007.
- Yacimientos y Recursos Metalíferos de Bolivia. Memoirs of the XVII Bolivian Geological Congress. p. 198, Sucre-Bolivia, Oct. 2006.
- Gestión Estratégica de la Nueva Minería. Magazine “Minería, Energía y Construcción” Year 10; No. 41; p. 25-27, La Paz-Bolivia, March 2006.
- Historia de la Exploración Minera en Bolivia. Magazine “Minería, Energía y Construcción” p. 32-36. Year 9; No. 39; La Paz-Bolivia, Dic. 2005.
- Exploración Minera en Bolivia. Memoirs of the XVI Bolivian Geological Congress. p. 167-170, Oruro, Oct. 2004.
- Perfiles de Proyectos Geológico-Mineros. Memoirs of the XVI Bolivian Geological Congress. p. 487-489, Oruro, Oct. 2004.
- Elaboración de Perfiles de Proyectos Mineros. Memoirs of the Convention of TECSUP, Arequipa, Peru, Nov. 2003.
- Potencial Geológico-Minero de Bolivia. Memoirs of the XV Bolivian Geological Congress. Revista Técnica de Y.P.F.B. p. 18 a 24., Santa Cruz, Oct. 2002.
- Estrategia Institucional del Servicio de Geología y Minería de Bolivia. Special publication of SERGEOMIN, 28 p. La Paz – Bolivia, July 2002.
- Mineralización Aurífera hospedada en sedimentitas. Jornadas: Estilos de Mineralización. Organized by the National Association of Geologists. La Paz, Nov. 2001.
- Geology and VMS Mineralization in Bolivia. (with H. Uribe and M. Menacho). In VMS Deposits of Latin America. GAC-MDD Special Paper No.2. Geological Association of Canada. p. 341-358,Vancouver - Canada, 2000.
- Exploración en la Faja de Pizarras, Bolivia. (con J. Guzmán). Memoirs of the XIV Bolivian Geological Congress, p. 332-336, La Paz, Oct. 2000.
- Mineralización de tipo Volcanogénico de Sulfuros Masivos en Bolivia. (con H. Uribe y M. Menacho). Memoirs of the XIV Bolivian Geological Congress, p. 337-341, La Paz, Oct. 2000.
- Geología y Exploración en el Yacimiento Aurífero de San Bernardino, Bolivia. Memoirs of the XIII Bolivian Geological Congress. p. 343-350, Oct. Potosí, 1998.
- Mineralización Aurífera en Sedimentos en el Altiplano Central, Bolivia. (con L. Villarroel y I. Thomson). Memoirs of the Conference “Bolivia Mining ‘95”, 11p. , La Paz, 1995.
- Naturaleza de las Soluciones Mineralizantes y Temperaturas de Formación en el Yacimiento Polimetálico de Huanuni. Summaries of the X Bolivian Geological Congress, p. 4-7, La Paz, 1992.
- Mecanismo de Formación de Inclusiones Fluidas Sintéticas con Diferentes Proporciones Gas/Líquido. (con M. Nambu). Summaries of the X Bolivian Geological Congress, p. 1-3, La Paz, 1992.
- Mineral Liberation Study in the Huanuni Mine, Bolivia. (with K. Nakatsuka & M. Nambu). MMIJ Journal, Tokyo, Japan. No. 9, p. 531-537, 1990.
- Experimental Formation of Secondary Fluid Inclusions under Boiling Conditions. (with M. Nambu). Abstracts Publ. Pacrofi III. University of Toronto, p. 63, Ont. Canada, 1990.
- Fluid Inclusion Study in the Huanuni Mine, Bolivia. (with M. Nambu), MMIJ Journal, Tokyo, Japan. No. 14, p. 1073-1078, 1989.
- Mineralización Polimetálica en el Yacimiento de Huanuni. Memoirs of the VIII Bolivian Geological Congress, p. 42-65, La Paz, 1986.
- Minerales Arcillosos de las vetas Keller y Bandy en el Yacimiento de Huanuni. (con R. Santivañez & Y. Nakamuta). Memoirs of the II Colloquium of the Agreement UMSA-JICA, p. 119-130, 1986.
- Mineralogía y Paragénesis de las vetas Keller y Bandy en el Yacimiento de Huanuni. Memoirs of the II Colloquium of the Agreement UMSA-JICA, p. 57-72, 1986.