Dr. Osvaldo R. Arce Burgoa
Osvaldo R. Arce-Burgoa, Geo. Engr. (UMSA, Bol.); Dr. of Eng. (Tohoku Univ., Japan); Fellow SEG, EE.UU.
Geological consultant with more than 27 years’ experience on mineral exploration, mining geology and mining project evaluation in Bolivia and in several countries in South America, North America and Asia-Pacific. He visited projects and mines in more than 40 countries and has crossed both polar circles.
Osvaldo Arce has a formation that includes studies such as: Doctorate of Engineering from the Tohoku University, Japan; Geological Engineering from San Andres University (UMSA) and Post-degree studies on International Management of Development Projects (IDB); Financial Analysis and Investment Operations Risks (Word Bank Institute, Queen's University), Management of Public Policies (JICA, Japan International Cooperation Agency); and other mineral exploration and Metallogeny courses in the US, Canada, Australia, Japan, Chile, Peru among others.
Early in his career (1984), he worked in COMSUR (Milluni mine) as a Mine Geologist, later in 1986 he joined the Japanese Cooperation Agency (JICA) as an assistant-researcher on mineral deposits. From 1992-1999 he worked first as Junior and then as Senior Geologist at EMUSA-ORVANA Joint venture (JV), being co-responsible for the discovery of the largest primary gold deposit in Bolivia (Pederson with 2.5 Moz Au). In 2000 he became the Exploration Manager of Sajama Bolivia -Peñoles JV; in 2001 he was Exploration Manager of Mitsui Mining & Smelting Corporation of Japan. In 2002 he was invited to take the position of National Director of the Geological Survey of Bolivia (SERGEOMIN). In early 2003 he was advisor to the Mining Corporation of Bolivia (COMIBOL). Between mid 2003 and late 2009 he returned to EMUSA as Exploration Manager and he leaded a geological team discovered more than 5 mineral systems (2 of them world class); later between 2010-2012 he was the Country Manager of Castillian Corp. Can.; between 2013 and 2015 he became the Executive Vice President of Feishang Corp. (E.M. Jacha Uru) with exploration and mine evaluations in Bolivia, Chile, Peru and Colombia. Currently, he is partner of Mining Company Antis SRL and technical advisor of the Canadian Eloro Res. Company based in Lima, Peru. Additionally, during his career he worked as a geological consultant for several international companies such as BHP, Newmont Corp., Placer Dome, Barrick Gold, GoldGroup, Dowa Mining, among others.
In the academic field he was an invited lecturer of Mining Geology at the Universidad Mayor de San Andrés; and also he taught Economic Geology and Geochemistry at the Technical University of Oruro; he authored the Mining and Metallurgy Engineering career at the Private University of Bolivia UPB and he was a speaker and instructor in several geoscience-mining national and international forums, mainly on promoting the geological-mining potential and Metallogeny of Bolivia.
Between 2010 and 2017 he was elected President of the Geological Association of Bolivia (re-elected two times). During his presidency, three successful geological congresses were held and more than 40 training courses for professionals and students, inviting over 20 international instructors. Moreover, during his terms, the association acquired its first owned headquarters that have all the facilities including the Auditorium “Friedrich Ahlfeld” of 70 people in capacity.
Dr. Osvaldo Arce is Fellow of the Society of Economic Geologists (SEG); member of the Prospectors and Developers association of Canada (PDAC); Society for Geology Applied to Mineral Deposits (SGA); of the Geological Society of America (GSA); of of the Advisory Committee of “Geology in the Public Interest”; of the Colegio de Geologos de Bolivia; of the Sociedad de Ingenieros de Bolivia and member of the Academia Nacional de Ciencias de Bolivia.
He wrote two books related to the geology and metalliferous ore deposits of Bolivia, referred to the last 40 years of geological-mining activity in the country and the second edition in English Language namely “Metalliferous Ore deposits of Bolivia” that summarizes the geology of Bolivia, a new classification of the ore deposit types in the country; descriptions and data of mineral resources of the more relevant deposits of Bolivia. Finally, he authored more than 40 technical articles published
- Doctor of Engineering (Economic Geology & Mineral Processing). Tohoku University – Japan, 1992.
- Professional Geological Engineer. Bolivian Government Certification, 1991.
- Geological Engineer. Universidad Mayor de San Andrés of La Paz, 1986.
- Bachelor in Geology. Universidad Mayor de San Andrés of La Paz, 1984.
- Diplomaed of “International Management of Development Projects”, (International Development Bank; Universidad Católica Boliviana, 2000-2001).
- • Post degree Course “Financial and Risk Analysis of Investment Operations”, (The World Bank Institute - John Deutsch Intl. Exec. Progr. - Queen’s University, Canada, 2001).
- Diplomaed “Management of Public Policies and Poverty Reduction”, (Japan International Cooperation Agency; Universidad Católica Boliviana, 2002-2003).
- Course on Metallogeny of the Central Andes and Bolivian Precambrian (Instructor and organizer), UNESCO-SEG-SGA, Bolivia, 2008
- Course on Metallogeny of the Andes, UNESCO-SEG-SGA, Chile, 2006
- Course on Metallogeny of the Andes, UNESCO-SEG, SGA, Argentina, 2004
- Practices on Advanced Mineral Exploration, Placer Dome Inc., Colorado y Nevada, 1996.
- Course on Porphyry Copper Exploration, BHP, La Escondida, Chile, 1999.
SELECTED MAJOR ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Co-Responsible of a team that discovered the Achachucani (Pederson) orogenic gold deposit of western Bolivia, resulting in a resource of 2.3 Moz gold, and for the Vinto, Nobel, Isvaya prospects in the same Exploration Corridor.
- Co-Responsible of a team that discovered a major ore body at the Cerro Amarillo (Zn, Sn, Ag, Pb) and Maragua (Ag, Sn, Zn) projects in central Bolivia.
- Supervised and managed the exploration program at the Toropalca (Zn) and Suipacha (Zn-Pb-Ag) projects, Southern Bolivia.
- Author of the Strategic Development Plan of the Bolivian Geological Survey.
- Author of two comprehensive books related to Metalliferous Ore Deposits of Bolivia.
ADMINISTRATION AND INVESTMENT
- Management of Mineral Exploration Divisions,
- Control and analysis of investments,
- Supervising exploration and costs programs,
- Corporative Balance Sheets,
- Analysis to the fluctuation of prices for metals,
- Title and rights of mineral properties,
- Manage and evaluate corporate acquisitions,
- Quantitative and Qualitative considerations about Market Risk,
- Project management from exploration to feasibility stage,
- Management style that assures an appropriate balance between major elements of management, i.e., production, finance, employee motivation and public and environmental concerns, all directed toward increasing stockholder's value
- Financing of geological-mining projects.
- Operative and Financial Review
- Tight cost control, profit-centered, adamant about accurate and timely cost reporting & purchase-control systems,
- Elaborated several of business plans, budgeting, cost tracking systems and projections for exploration and exploitation activities.
- Evaluating joint ventures, and valued mining properties. Conducted academic research for BSc. theses. Researched mineral exploration and mining data.
- Computer literate in spreadsheets, CAD, corel draw, risk analysis, word processing, and statistical packages.
DESIGN, PLANNING AND EXECUTING EXPLORATION PROGRAMMES
- Design, planning and execution of regional and local geological work including mapping and recognition of new mineral systems,
- Improve the quality and effectiveness of geological evaluation,
- Property and mine evaluations of different type of ore deposits,
- Generate and develop the models of different styles of mineralizations,
- Planning and conduct a detailed geochemical exploration,
- Design and supervising drilling programs after providing through field data analysis,
- Driving projects from exploration stage to pre-feasibility study,
- Ore reserves analysis and auditing in different type of ore deposits.
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Supervision of exploration staff including skilled and unskilled workers and professionals.
- Management and consolidated human resource policies and practices.
- Negotiation of Joint Venture agreements between mining companies.
- Negotiation with workers unions.
- Presenter to company Boards, partners and contractors. Written reporting in English and Spanish. Author of two comprehensive books on Metalliferous Ore Deposits of Bolivia and twenty five scientific articles and progress and technical reports to government of Bolivia. University teacher of Economic Geology and Geochemistry.
- ELORO RESOURCES LTD. (Canada); Technical Advisor, Lima. June 2016 - current
- ANTIS SRL., partner and Vice President Operations. Geological consultant. Actual.
- INDEPENDENT GEOLOGICAL CONSULTANT. La Paz, January – May 2016.
- FEISHANG CORP. (E.M. JACHA URU), Vicepresidente Ejecutivo, La Paz. Enero 2013 a diciembre 2015.
- UNIVERSIDAD MAYOR DE SAN ANDRÉS, Facultad de Ciencias Geológicas, Invited Lecturer of Mining Geology, La Paz. March to October 2010.
- CASTILLIAN CORP. (Canadá), Country Mnager, La Paz. November 2009 to December 2012.
- EMPRESA MINERA UNIFICADA S.A. (EMUSA); Exploration Manager, La Paz. May 2003 to March 2009.
- MINING CORPORATION OF BOLIVIA (COMIBOL); Technical Advisor. October 2002 – April 2003.
- BOLIVIAN GEOLOGICAL SURVEY (SERGEOTECMIN); National Executive Director. March 2002 – September 2002.
- MITSUI MINING & SMELTING (Japan); Exploration Manager. February 2000 – February 2002.
- MINERA SAJAMA – PEÑOLES (Mexico); Exploration Manager. August 1999 – January 2000.
- EMUSA-ORVANA MIN. CORP.- BHP JV.; Project Manager. August 1998 – July 1999.
- EMUSA – ORVANA MINERALS CORP. JV.; Project Manager. August 1995 – July 1998.
- EMUSA – ORVANA MINERALS CORP. JV.; Exploration Geologist. September 1992 – July 1995.
- INDEPENDENT GEOLOGICAL CONSULTANT. January 1991 – August 1992.
- TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY OF ORURO, Geological Engineering Department; Lecturer of Economic Geology and Geochemistry. March 1987-September 1987; and May 1991 – November 1991.
- JAPAN INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION AGENCY (JICA); Researcher Geologist. March 1986 – January 1987.
- COMPAÑÍA MINERA DEL SUR (COMSUR); Mining Geologist. January 1984 - December 1984
- • Spanish (Mother Language), English (Second Language), Japanese and Portuguese.
Fellow of the Society of Economic Geologists (SEG)
Member of Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada (PDAC)
Member of the Society of Applied Geology for Ore Deposits (SGA)
Member of the Academy of Sciences
Member Geological Society of Bolivia
Member of Engineering Society of Bolivia
Member of Mining Club of Bolivia
Editor of the Magazine “Minería, Energía y Construcción”
“Guía a los Yacimientos Metalíferos de Bolivia”, SPC Impresores, Minera San Cristóbal – Empresa Minera Unificada S.A. (EMUSA), La Paz, Bolivia, 355 p.
“Metalliferous Ore deposits of Bolivia” SPC Impresores, La Paz, Bolivia, 348 p.
Arce-Burgoa, O., 1990, Fundamental study on processing of ore from the Huanuni mine, Bolivia: Unpublished Ph.D. thesis, Sendai, Japan, Tohoku University, 168 p. Arce-Burgoa, O., 1986, Estudio Geológico y Mineralógico de las Vetas Keller y Bandy en el Yacimiento de Huanuni: Unpublished Ing. Geol. Thesis, La Paz, Bolivia, UMSA, 77 p.
- Metallogeny of Bolivia (with R. Goldfarb). SEG (Society of Economic Geologists) Newsletter, October 2009, No. 79, p. 7-15, USA.
- Metalogenia de Bolivia. Magazine “Minería, Energía y Construcción” Year 13; No. 73; p. 15-18, La Paz-Bolivia, March 2009.
- Metalliferous Ore Deposits of Bolivia. Magazine “Minería, Energía y Construcción” Year 13; No. 71; p. 22-28, La Paz-Bolivia, March 2009.
- Guía a los yacimientos Metalíferos de Bolivia. Magazine “Minería, Energía y Construcción” Year 11; No. 51; La Paz-Bolivia, March 2007.
- Yacimientos y Recursos Metalíferos de Bolivia. Memoirs of the XVII Bolivian Geological Congress. p. 198, Sucre-Bolivia, Oct. 2006.
- Gestión Estratégica de la Nueva Minería. Magazine “Minería, Energía y Construcción” Year 10; No. 41; p. 25-27, La Paz-Bolivia, March 2006.
- Historia de la Exploración Minera en Bolivia. Magazine “Minería, Energía y Construcción” p. 32-36. Year 9; No. 39; La Paz-Bolivia, Dic. 2005.
- Exploración Minera en Bolivia. Memoirs of the XVI Bolivian Geological Congress. p. 167-170, Oruro, Oct. 2004.
- Perfiles de Proyectos Geológico-Mineros. Memoirs of the XVI Bolivian Geological Congress. p. 487-489, Oruro, Oct. 2004.
- Elaboración de Perfiles de Proyectos Mineros. Memoirs of the Convention of TECSUP, Arequipa, Peru, Nov. 2003.
- Potencial Geológico-Minero de Bolivia. Memoirs of the XV Bolivian Geological Congress. Revista Técnica de Y.P.F.B. p. 18 a 24., Santa Cruz, Oct. 2002.
- Estrategia Institucional del Servicio de Geología y Minería de Bolivia. Special publication of SERGEOMIN, 28 p. La Paz – Bolivia, July 2002.
- Mineralización Aurífera hospedada en sedimentitas. Jornadas: Estilos de Mineralización. Organized by the National Association of Geologists. La Paz, Nov. 2001.
- Geology and VMS Mineralization in Bolivia. (with H. Uribe and M. Menacho). In VMS Deposits of Latin America. GAC-MDD Special Paper No.2. Geological Association of Canada. p. 341-358,Vancouver - Canada, 2000.
- Exploración en la Faja de Pizarras, Bolivia. (con J. Guzmán). Memoirs of the XIV Bolivian Geological Congress, p. 332-336, La Paz, Oct. 2000.
- Mineralización de tipo Volcanogénico de Sulfuros Masivos en Bolivia. (con H. Uribe y M. Menacho). Memoirs of the XIV Bolivian Geological Congress, p. 337-341, La Paz, Oct. 2000.
- Geología y Exploración en el Yacimiento Aurífero de San Bernardino, Bolivia. Memoirs of the XIII Bolivian Geological Congress. p. 343-350, Oct. Potosí, 1998.
- Mineralización Aurífera en Sedimentos en el Altiplano Central, Bolivia. (con L. Villarroel y I. Thomson). Memoirs of the Conference “Bolivia Mining ‘95”, 11p. , La Paz, 1995.
- Naturaleza de las Soluciones Mineralizantes y Temperaturas de Formación en el Yacimiento Polimetálico de Huanuni. Summaries of the X Bolivian Geological Congress, p. 4-7, La Paz, 1992.
- Mecanismo de Formación de Inclusiones Fluidas Sintéticas con Diferentes Proporciones Gas/Líquido. (con M. Nambu). Summaries of the X Bolivian Geological Congress, p. 1-3, La Paz, 1992.
- Mineral Liberation Study in the Huanuni Mine, Bolivia. (with K. Nakatsuka & M. Nambu). MMIJ Journal, Tokyo, Japan. No. 9, p. 531-537, 1990.
- Experimental Formation of Secondary Fluid Inclusions under Boiling Conditions. (with M. Nambu). Abstracts Publ. Pacrofi III. University of Toronto, p. 63, Ont. Canada, 1990.
- Fluid Inclusion Study in the Huanuni Mine, Bolivia. (with M. Nambu), MMIJ Journal, Tokyo, Japan. No. 14, p. 1073-1078, 1989.
- Mineralización Polimetálica en el Yacimiento de Huanuni. Memoirs of the VIII Bolivian Geological Congress, p. 42-65, La Paz, 1986.
- Minerales Arcillosos de las vetas Keller y Bandy en el Yacimiento de Huanuni. (con R. Santivañez & Y. Nakamuta). Memoirs of the II Colloquium of the Agreement UMSA-JICA, p. 119-130, 1986.
- Mineralogía y Paragénesis de las vetas Keller y Bandy en el Yacimiento de Huanuni. Memoirs of the II Colloquium of the Agreement UMSA-JICA, p. 57-72, 1986.